Manager, Project Development (NORESCO)Apply Business Unit UTC Climate, Controls & Security Job ID 76575BR Date posted 11/08/2018 City Houston State Texas
As one of the largest energy services companies in the U.S., NORESCO utilizes design-build and performance-based contracting vehicles to deliver energy and maintenance savings and significant infrastructure upgrades to existing facilities. NORESCO also provides build, own, operate and maintain (BOOM) services for central heating, cooling and power-generation systems. NORESCO’s Sustainability Services group offers a full suite of sustainable design consulting services, including energy auditing, commissioning and retro-commissioning, energy & daylighting analysis, LEED® certification consulting, and sustainability master planning.
What makes NORESCO unique is our ability to engineer and implement turnkey energy solutions that meet each customer’s individual needs. At NORESCO, we pride ourselves on the excellent relationships we maintain with our customers. We earn their trust and respect through listening and timely response to their needs and concerns. These relationships, along with pursuing and hiring the best people, are truly why NORESCO is a leader in the energy industry.
NORESCO is part of UTC Climate, Controls & Security, a unit of United Technologies Corp.
At NORESCO, Project Developers oversee the development of energy efficiency projects by identifying, assessing, and structuring technical and financial solutions for our customers' energy efficiency and capital improvement challenges. They have a strong understanding of a wide range of technology offerings and have the communication and business skills necessary to bridge the gap between the sales, engineering, and construction management groups. Project Developers translate customer needs into strategic and technical guidance to the development team. And they provide engineering and transactional creativity to ensure the technical and financial success of our energy projects.
We have an immediate need for a Manager, Project Development for the Federal team located in Texas.
The following are the areas of responsibility for this position.
Manage teams and project developers performing development over a portfolio of projects. Responsible for technical/financial support of sales activities, Financial modeling of Energy Performance Contracts, Proposal writing and review/QC Management and coordination of proposal team
- Technical knowledge and experience to evaluate a full spectrum of energy savings opportunities
- Conduct preliminary walk-through of customer facilities to determine project viability
- Interview prospective customers to determine “wish lists” and assess customer expectations for the Energy Performance Contract
- Assist in the preparation of PowerPoint slides for customer presentations
- Present the business case portion of the proposal for oral interviews and customer board meetings used to select the ESCO
- Manage teams and project developers by providing tactical and strategic input into the portfolio sales plan
Financial Modeling of Energy Performance Contracts:
- Take energy savings calculations, sub-contracted costs, and purchased material costs from the Energy Engineers and populate NORESCO’s financial model
- Review/QC the energy savings and costs provided by the Energy Engineers for reasonableness based on past experience, metrics, and knowledge of the project
- Review Energy Conservation Measures (ECMs) provided by the Energy Engineers for technical and financial viability
- Understand cost and savings risks and develop plan and strategy to manage and mitigate these risks
- Work with Measurement & Verification Engineers and Energy Engineers to develop cost-effective, risk appropriate M&V plan for the customer
- Manage other project developers performing the above tasks across a portfolio of projects
- Manager, Project Development will be supported by a Proposal Administrator (PA) to review, edit, and assemble the proposal and Detailed Audit Documents. However, the Senior PD will “own” the document
- Manager PD will write Executive Summaries making a strong business case for the selection of NORESCO, our project approach, and the Proposed ECMs; Also responsible for other financial/technical sections of the proposal
- Review the ECM Write-Ups and other technical proposal sections provided by the Energy Engineers
- Coordinate the proposal document strategy and tactics with the Account Executive
- The Manager PD is responsible for managing assigned proposal teams and assigned PDs’ Teams consisting of an Account Executive, Energy Engineer(s), a Lighting Auditor/Designer, a Construction Manager, and M&V Specialist
- Coordinate all audit, engineering and proposal efforts
- Guide site audits and coordinate both internal and external engineering resources
- Host weekly conference calls to communicate strategy and tactics, review team member’s responsibilities and progress to date against milestones
- Notify NORESCO management when team members fall behind in assignments or proposal strategy or tactics appear to be compromised
- Coordinate and host risk review meeting with NORESCO senior management for approval prior to proposal submission; Present the business case for the project
- Manage the proposal and detailed audit budgets and timelines to ensure delivery of preliminary and detailed proposals on time and within budget
- 15+ years experience in the energy engineering field
- 10+ years experience in leading the development of Federal Energy Savings Performance Contract (ESPC) projects
- Very proficient with Microsoft Excel
- Proficient in MS Word and PowerPoint
- Strong technical writing skills
- Sales aptitude
- Strong business acumen
- General engineering knowledge of HVAC, lighting & lighting controls, process systems, power generation, DDC / pneumatic controls, renewables and building envelope
- Comprehensive knowledge of federal ESPC IDIQ and MATOC contract vehicles
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in an engineering or technical discipline
- MBA, and PE are not required but are considered a plus
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Our application system undergoes scheduled maintenance the 3rd Saturday of every month from 3am – 11am Eastern Time.
Applications cannot be completed during this outage. Please try back at a later time.
New UTC Center for Intelligent Buildings
Designed to provide visitors a new way to interact with current and emerging building technologies, the new UTC Center for Intelligent Buildings will also serve as the global corporate headquarters for UTC Climate, Controls & Security, a $17 billion business with approximately 55,000 employees worldwide.More
A burning desire for training and development.
It’s not just our people’s growth we invest in – as our donations to the Farmington and Avon fire departments show.More
Training that makes headlines.
Find out what Forbes had to say about our Employee Scholar Program.More