Hardware Design Assurance ManagerApply Business Unit UTC Climate, Controls & Security Job ID 73243BR Date posted 09/14/2018 City Beverly State Massachusetts
UTC Climate, Controls & Security is a leading provider of heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration systems, building controls and automation, and fire and security systems leading to safer, smarter, sustainable and high-performance buildings. UTC Climate, Controls & Security is a unit of United Technologies Corp., a leading provider to the aerospace and building systems industries worldwide.
Carrier is the world’s leader in high-technology heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration solutions. Carrier is a part of UTC Climate, Controls & Security, a unit of United Technologies Corp., a leading provider to the aerospace and building systems industries worldwide.
As the world's leading provider of cold chain visibility solutions, Sensitech enables global leaders in Food and Pharmaceuticals to track and monitor assets across the supply chain to protect the integrity of temperature-sensitive products. Sensitech is a wholly owned subsidiary of Carrier Corp., the world's leader in high technology heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration solutions.
Sensitech, Inc. is seeking a Design Assurance Managerto validate new/existing product release candidates prior to release to mass production. This includes end to end Design Assurance, Reliability testing, global compliance, and field testing that needs to be completed for thorough analysis and approval prior to releasing new designs or design changes to Production for mass production.
The Design Assurance Manager function provides oversight and guidance in all phases of the planning and development process from early requirements through final implementation. An experience base rooted specifically in Design Assurance and in Systems Engineering, Applications Engineering, User Acceptance Testing, Reliability Engineering, and/or Systems Integration Testing is required. As part of this critical position the role includes requirements management and traceability throughout the design, development, and test cycles. Requirements must be executable, include no unmanageable ambiguities, and support the identified use cases. This role includes and requires systems integration experience and real-world testing of wired and wireless communication devices, networking, and software systems (hosted and desktop applications) from Design Assurance and reliability standpoint. While an adjunct to Software Engineering and Software Quality Assurance, it is primarily a check-and-balance role ensuring adherence to requirements, specifications, and customer mission success factors. This role may technically lead/guide other related engineering functions in the area of Design Assurance such as Systems Integration Test & Validation, development of Halt/Hass test strategies, destructive testing, and the development of automated test scripts where appropriate.
The Design Assurance Manager will guide User Acceptance Testing (UAT) and field validation of new product designs for hardware and software products and applications. New product designs or changes to existing designs will pass through Design Assurance for full end-to-end testing to stated requirements and design specifications, as well as beyond specification to the point of failure. Field related testing may be conducted by a Systems Integration Test & Validation Engineer with the Design Assurance Managers guidance. Traditional reliability testing is also a key part of this function and may be executed internally or via third party labs.
This is a critical position assuring the end-to-end performance, quality, and applicability of new and subsequent releases of existing products and systems prior to their release-to-market.
- As Design Assurance is a newly formalized function within Sensitech this hands on role is expected to lead the definition, planning, documentation, and execution of the Design Assurance function as part of this function
- Provide necessary test summaries, plans, memos, certifications required for eco release and inclusion in the validation packages for each product
- Ensure new hardware solutions, both independently and in integrated form, meet or exceed customer expectations based on approved requirements, specifications, and business use cases
- Works with sustaining engineering to ensure manufacturing test strategies are effective and efficient and meet our targets of 450 ppm failure rates (confirmed field failures)
- Ensure Product Requirements are non-ambiguous and executable by clearly defining the expected results of the new product
- Ensures compliance with Requirements Traceability and Change Management process throughout the NPI process. Recommend the approval or disapproval of the release of new/changes to existing products based on results and conclusions from formal Design Assurance testing. Establishes, documents, executes, and records test plans/test cases that prove a design’s performance to requirements and to establish the points of failure beyond specification and also works to continuously improve test plans/test cases
- Works intimately with hardware and software development and SQA to establish the scope of and to coordinate pre-release testing activities and schedules
- Interfaces regularly with Engineers, Field Applications, Technical Services, and other organizations that have customer facing relationships which yield real-world quality information including product field failures, feature usability, or other likes/dislikes related to product attributes where applicable
- Collaborates with Product Management and Engineering to ensure that the Voice of the Customer is heard and represented in Product Requirements and designs – work with Product Management to evolve Product Requirements to include operating parameters and desired performance based on what is learned as part of the Design Assurance process – continuous improvement initiatives
- Test and evaluate competitive products and deliver a report of strengths/weaknesses that can be used to enhance current offerings as well as give sales information where Sensitech products have an advantage
- Ability to work and lead a team consisting of internal/external resources that may be located off shore in some cases as well as the ability to manage, mentor, train, motivate this team to achieve on time deliverables
- Ability to transform the current test methodology and determine resources/staffing required to achieve the goals department
- A proven track record of system design evaluation and/or true IV&V experience in a hardware/software integrated environment
- An understanding of wireless data communications, telemetry, monitoring, telematics, or M2M systems where data harvesting/collection, transmission, collection, storage, and reporting has been central to a solution or business model
- Requirements creation, management and traceability experience using tools such as DOORS, Team Foundation Server, or others is required. Development of/familiarity with traceability matrix
- Experience creating, developing and executing formal New Product Introduction (NPI) processes from requirements setting, through IV&V, and final manufacturing release
- Experience Defining, Testing and Troubleshooting integrated systems including wireless communications, software applications (hosted and desktop), and Internet facing solutions (data gateways, internet appliances, etc.)
- Excellent team-player to ensure success in championing the new Design Assurance function
- Ability to develop, document, and perform all phases of unit and systems testing, including establishing/managing design verification/validation test cases and in prescribing and executing reliability test suites
- Capable of developing, documenting, and executing/delegating standardized test plans to verify and validate the design of electronic products which integrate with software systems via local or remote data connections
- Experience with competitive analysis testing and report creation
- Ability to create Halt/Hass or burn in test profiles to reduce infant mortality
- Experience with ISO 9000/2000 development processes a plus
- Project planning and scheduling experience a must
- An electrical, software, or systems engineering degree is required combined with 5+ years of experience
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Our application system undergoes scheduled maintenance the 3rd Saturday of every month from 3am – 11am Eastern Time.
Applications cannot be completed during this outage. Please try back at a later time.
New UTC Center for Intelligent Buildings
Designed to provide visitors a new way to interact with current and emerging building technologies, the new UTC Center for Intelligent Buildings will also serve as the global corporate headquarters for UTC Climate, Controls & Security, a $17 billion business with approximately 55,000 employees worldwide.More
A burning desire for training and development.
It’s not just our people’s growth we invest in – as our donations to the Farmington and Avon fire departments show.More
Training that makes headlines.
Find out what Forbes had to say about our Employee Scholar Program.More